Night ride to Greenport

Ok, I had a crazy idea of setting off a 2 o’clock in the morning and riding to Greenport then grabbing breakfast somewhere on the way back. As I was still up by 10:30pm, I decided to change that to 3 o’clock instead. I was pretty much set up so I thought it would just be a case of getting riding gear on and out the door. It still took me half an hour!

Having the two lights on the front makes a big difference. The dynamo is definitely the brightest of the two but the Niterider has a wide beam and lights up a big area. They complement each other well. The only problem is the Niterider has a rechargeable battery and will only last 3-4 hours. I wonder if I can run it off the cache battery for part of the night. The Garmin can have half the night and the Niterider the other half. That may just work and then I can charge the cache battery up once daylight comes. Sounds like a plan.

I saw a fox on Nichols Road. It is only the second fox I have seen in this country despite being here ten years now. It ran gracefully across the road but with purpose. Not the frightened run of a squirrel. Majestic. I also passed three youths walking home from a party, perhaps.

When I got on to Rt-347, the traffic was intermittent. I did think about the stats of when the most cycling fatalities are in Suffolk and hoped that everyone on the road would be driving sensibly. Only one driver honked his horn at me. I was very visible from the rear with my two red lights and reflective ankle bands.

As I reached the Rocky Point bypass, the streetlights disappeared for the first time. I felt like I had been transported on to a night dive with my headlights acting as my main beam in the water. It was peaceful, it was still, it was nice. Visibility was great!!

Dawn broke at around 5am and then the sun crept over the horizon some time later. I reached Greenport after 3:12 hours of cycling – 53 miles. The metal bird has disappeared. Not sure if someone took it as a souvenir but it is definitely gone. I was going to take a photo of it. as it was, I just tweeted that I had arrived. I poured the fresh water from the back up bottle to the main one and slipped in a Gu tablet. I set off for home, looking for a place to have breakfast on the way.

At Riverhead I stopped to buy a big water bottle. I filled both bike bottles and drank a bottle of cranberry juice. That was nice. I continued on, still looking for a breakfast place. I didn’t want a chain and was almost resigned to eating at JT’s in Nesconset. I then passed two possible places but I didn’t stop. Mainly because I had just replenished supplies at the 7-Eleven and it felt too soon to stop again. Two cyclists caught me up and we chatted about how far we had gone. They had done 40 miles or so. I told them I had done 80 and that I had been to Greenport and was now on my way back. They seemed impressed.

Once I reach Sound Avenue it starts to become really familiar and it doesn’t feel like too far to go. When I reach Rt 112 it almost feels like I am home though there is another ten miles to go. As I approach Lake Avenue, there are no cars behind me so I move into the left lane and wait for a gap in the traffic. The lights turn red, then green but I have not triggered the sensor and I don’t get the left turn light. I wait for the oncoming cars to pass by and then take the break in traffic to cross into Lake. I enter the parking lot of JT’s only to find people waiting to be seated. After cycling 100 miles, I am not going to wait for a seat. I head out of the parking lot and cycle home.

I averaged 16.5mph heading out to Greenport and 14.4mph coming back. There was a slight head wind coming back so that goes towards explaining why I was slower. I also felt tired in my legs. Not my thighs but my calves. That’s interesting because when I do the CTS workouts, it is always my thighs which ache. The new rear bag seemed quite well though when I stand up to attack a small climb, it does end up shifting to one side or the other. It is not a big deal to move it back into place. I don’t want to tighten it any further as it is a carbon fibre post. I can definitely get some stuff in it.

Overall, a good ride. And now I have to do another hundred tomorrow.


Tags: , ,

One Response to “Night ride to Greenport”

  1. wb416 Says:

    Nice job!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: